Sunday 21 October 2012

Did all Pharisees think the same about Jesus?

At Church on Friday while putting myself 'into' a Bible passage, this was my result. It's based on Matthew 22:15 - 22.

My name is Jacob and I'm a disciple of one of the Pharisees. I tend to report to Zachariah, he's not a bad man, he's just young, like me I guess. He's 30 and I'm 24.

Zachariah is getting stressed along with the other leaders by the teacher Jesus. Everyday they're stressing about the politics. The relationship between the Romans and us seems to be getting more delicate by the day. As a result Zachariah and the others are constantly thinking of ways to discredit Jesus. The people love him, and to be honest, I find his teachings easier to understand than my leaders here. But, you didn't hear that from me right?!

The Sadducees are also under threat, but they tend to deal with the higher ceremonial stuff. " Upper classes, up their own ar  ahem..." Zachariah says.

So after today's leaders meeting, I get "asked" to go to where Jesus is with a group of other disciples to confront Jesus in front of a big crowd. Zachariah thinks the plan will backfire, but HIS boss, Jehu, is dead set on it. Thinks it'll shut Jesus up for good. Me? I'm just following orders!

When we catch up with Jesus, we have to push our way through the crowd to get close enough to speak with him. I try and keep my head down. I don't really want to challenge Jesus. I know I'll end up looking like an idiot, and having fallen down the Temple steps on many occasions, I need no ones help to do something embarrassing. Thankfully Jedekiah, who is close to passing his exams to become a fully qualified Pharisee, and has an ego the size of Mount Sinai, nominates himself as spokesman.

"Teacher", he begins, and a few of my friends try unsuccessfully to hide their giggling and sarcastic faces " we know that you're an honourable man, and you follow God's law..." Someone leans over to me and whispers, "Nice bit of buttering up!" Jedekiah continues, "... and you're not persuaded easily by others. So we'd like to know your opinion on an issue that these people here have to contend with day-in day-out. Should we pay tax to Caesar?"

Everybody turned to look at Jesus, and waited for his response. Jesus replied, "Seriously?! Is this an attempt to set a trap?" I wasn't sure if Jesus was more amused by our question or our feeble attempt to get him in trouble. "Someone pass me a coin?" Jesus asked. Jedekiah came over to me and demand that I gave him a coin. I dutifully obeyed, thinking, 'I better get that coin back...it's my lunch money!'

Jesus held the coin between his right finger and thumb, lifted his hand in the air and in a loud voice asked, " Who's the person on this coin?" I love when Jesus does this, really involves and includes his listeners. Jedekiah replies smugly, " Caesar."

To which Jesus responds, " So give it back to him - it's clearly his. He's got his picture on it and everything!" Jesus rides the laugh. Great timing that man! As the laughter subsides, Jesus continues, "And give to God what is His." The last word he says while looking directly at me. I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest. That would make for a nasty and messy experience.

As Jesus and his disciples walked off through the crowd, who were cheering loudly, our group all turned to look at Jedekiah. He had become quite pale. After what seemed like an age, he regained his composure and stormed off. We all duly followed, keeping our heads down as the crowd mocked us as we past.


As I returned to the Temple, thoughts flooded my mind.
Was ANYONE ever going to stop Jesus?
What was his intention, his plan?
Did he HAVE a plan?

The only thing I was sure of was; it wasn't the last time we'd seen or heard from Jesus. And any thoughts I had of me quite liking him, had to be kept to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hope

Hope